Moon sand, also known as homemade sand, is an awesome sensory play tool and kids will have hours of fun with this taste safe moon sand recipe. The great thing about moon sand is that it is so easy to make: this DIY sand recipe requires just 2 cupboard staples: flour and oil!
Our toddlers love using the moon sand to create construction scenes, beach days and, as its easily to mold, making sandcastles!
Having had lots of fun with our homemade sand we wanted to share our recipe for how to make moon sand that is taste safe and fun!
How to Make Moon Sand
Moon sand/DIY sand is incredibly easy to make. It only requires 2 ingredients, is taste safe for curious minds and is ready within minutes!
How to make moon sand tip: moon sand lasts quite a long time if you keep it in an airtight sealed container or an air tight sandwich bag.
Moon Sand Recipe Instructions
Follow these instructions to make some awesome moon sand:
- Grab a mixing bowl
- Add 8 cups of flour
- Make a hole in the middle of the flour
- Pour 1 cup of vegetable oil into the hole
- Work the sand and flour together with your hands until the flour has absorbed all the oil
Your moon sand is ready for sensory play!
How to make moon sand tip: we find using 8 parts flour to 1 part water gives a nice consistency moon sand that is easy to mold. We use 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of flour for the large bin in our Flisat sensory table. If you have a smaller tub then try 4 cups of flour and half a cup of oil
If you are confident your kids won’t try to taste the moon sand then:
- add some essential oils to give it a nice fragrance (not taste safe)
- substitute baby oil for vegetable oil (not taste safe)
- 8 cups of flour
- 1 cup of oil
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring Spoon
- Add 8 cups of flour to mixing bowl
- Make a hole in the middle of the flour (like a volcano!) and add 1 cup of oil
- Mix it all together until the flour has absorbed all the oil
Both baby oil and vegetable oil will work for this moon sand recipe. We prefer vegetable oil as it is taste safe
If you don't need something taste safe then baby oil is a great option and it smells great.